Parquet flooring is a beautiful decorative form of flooring made from blocks of woods woven into a mosaic of geometric patterns. These patterns that make up parquet can range from simple geometric shapes, like squares through to highly intricate decorative designs. Some names given to these patterns are checkerboard, herring bone, double herring bone and basket weave.
In olden times, particularly during 1625-1714 or what is known as the Baroque Period in France, parquet flooring was seen in the most elegant palaces and affluent homes. It was during this time when the most complex patterns were being experimented upon.
Today there are basically two different forms of parquet. Mosaic-Panel parquet or Herring-bone parquet Please click on the links to read more about them.
Fitting Parquet flooring is a highly skilled art, and we recommend that you don’t try doing it yourself. You can read this page which highlights some of the difficulties you will encounter when laying a parquet floor.
At Whittlewoods we specialise in Parquet flooring and members of our team are specialists in this field. Please read these testimonials from our customers who endorse this fact.
10 Reasons why people choose Parquet Flooring
Parquet Wooden Flooring has been around for many centuries. Judging by it timeless beauty and versatility this is of no surprise. Please read these reasons why people choose a Parquet Wooden Floor.
1. Parquet’s unique and stunning appearance sets it apart from all other forms of flooring, including other wooden floors. It also has a sense of grandeur.
2. It can be laid in many different patterns and styles giving it enormous variety and appeal.
3. Good quality parquet floors last for decades – Whereas many people find themselves replacing carpet every 5 years, due to stains, holes, or shabbiness from everyday wear and tear. You will find that a parquet wooden floor with a minimal maintenance program actually look better as the years go by.
4. Parquet wooden floors are easier to clean than carpets. The reasons for this are fairly obvious. A simple brush or light vacuum keeps your floors looking great. If dogs or children have dragged mud through the house a damp mop removes this muck with ease. Carpet owners at this stage would be screaming.
5. Parquet wooden floors are more hygienic than carpets. There are some fairly horrifying reports out there detailing the parasites that carpets can harbor. If you were to read these reports you would not go anywhere near a carpet. These allergen producing, dust mites, fleas or dust play havoc with allergy sufferers, a wooden floor eliminates this saving you money and extreme discomfort. This is particularly relevant to owner’s dogs and cats.
6. Not only are wooden floors more hygienic, but carpets also trap in unpleasant odours from animals or things that have been spilt. The aroma of a polished wooden floor is a delight and will make your home more inviting.
7. If after a few years your parquet floor has been scratched or is a bit damaged due to heavy wear and tear. A simple sand and seal will bring it back to new again. This is a lot less costly than refitting a new carpet. I would just like to point out that sanding does remove about 1mm of the woods surface.
8. Due to the small size of each block and that bocks are laid in opposing directions. Parquet flooring is very stable and is therefore suitable for many hard wearing and unstable situations such as Kitchens, gyms, halls and hallways
9. Stone and tile floors although as hygienic and easy to maintain as wood, don’t have the same warmth and feel that a parquet wooden floors has.
10. Estate agents state that houses with wooden floors sell twice as easily compared to houses with other floor finishes. Parquet’s reputation of sophistication and grandeur amplifies this statement.
We invite you to visit our showroom where you can see our vast range of finished floors, or call us now to arrange an appointment, where we will come to you and discuss your needs and requirements for Free.
Call London on : 0207 125 0009, Berkshire on : 0118 329 0071 or fill out this short form and we will respond to you immediately.